Saturday, August 13, 2016

A crazy old lady and a bridge

Moin moin!!
       This week was sooo crazy, stressful, awesome, crazy, and all-around just another week as a missionary. Some crazy things happened and if you don't read this whole email then that sucks for you!! Haha! Just kidding, I always worry about my emails being too much me or just too dorky or whatever, so if they are then I'm sorry you feel that way!! Haha!
       Anyways, I just have to say this Saturday is going to be a sad day in the Mannheim hood. We went on a split this week and it was the hardest longest slowest time of my mission so far. The Elder I was with just wanted to go sightseeing and I just went with it because he has been out longer than me. Last time I do that!!!!!! Next time I have a comp that wants to go sightseeing I'm going to laugh at him and just do what we are supposed to. But it made me really miss Elder Stiles and made me very nervous about transfer calls this Saturday. Pretty sure he is heading out because he has been here since January! So he is due for a change, but we have gotten so close in these last few transfers!
I can't believe how close we have gotten, I have never opened up to anyone this much in my life in such short a time that went so fast! He is a total stud and he is seriously such a homie. There isn't one
thing that I would say bad about him simply because there is nothing I can find! And trust me, I have thought about it! Hahaha! That being said, if anyone were to say something bad about him I would immediately know that that don't know the same, Elder Stiles! I'm\ really going to struggle with him gone. He is definitely the first person I have felt comfortable and have had fun with ever since I left my family for the last time. But it is what it is!
       So this week we had not met with Ali. He works a ton with his new job and because of that hasn't made it to church for a month or so now. Which is a total bummer. But we had met up with an investigator named Obeji! This guy is one of the coolest guys I've met on my mission so far and he is from Nigeria so that makes him even cooler! But the downside is, he is a refugee which means no lessons and definitely no baptism. Unless he can get an apartment, job, and visa then we will be able to. We took him to the church and showed him around. The first thing he asked was where is the baptismal pool! Haha we showed him and it was amazing! The fount was closed by the doors that hook together, as soon as we opened them up it was like the Holy Ghost was just waiting behind the doors and just hit us hard. It was powerful and he wants to get baptized so bad. I really hope he can get those things!
       Earlier in the week we met with an active member that hasn't been able to get to church for 4 weeks until yesterday!! But, we were able to meet with him when he was home and talked to him about how he has been doing. His name is Saša and he is probably my favorite member here. He
was very depressed from a number of things, we tried to help him with a bunch of talks and scriptures. Before we left he asked for a blessing. The Spirit works so powerfully and I would NOT be where I am without its help and direction. The power of the Priesthood is truly amazing and I know that it has been brought back onto the earth by a humble prophet and it was the same power that Christ had while on the earth. Absolutely amazing!
       Now for the funny part of the week, haha. We went by on an inactive member that had a stroke a year or so ago and can't speak but can smile huge, and also lives in a senior care home. Usually what we do is just go in, share a message, talk about the week, and then leave with prayers before and after. Before we went into the room this time this older lady was walking down the hall but holding onto the railing on the wall moving really slowly. She was just outside the door when we walked in. We started talking to him and she got through the door, then she slooooowly walked over to me and was about to corner me into the wall! I kept asking her if everything was ok or if she needed help
and she just starred right at me!! Thankfully she sat down in the room and we just continued on with the lesson. We stayed a prayer and right when we got down she was standing right next to me!! It was freaky, then I helped her out of the room, we had the lesson and left. Hahaha it was freaking crazy! Haha you really just had to be there honestly!
       But, just to wrap this huge puppy up with a spiritual side haha! So yesterday following church, Elder Stiles and I went finding on the streets. We eventually got to this bridge that we have crossed only once before. It's a bridge that doesn't have any road on it so it's strictly for people walking and riding bikes, perfect for talking to people. Anyways, the last time we were on it I stopped a guy and just couldn't put the words together right in German for him to understand. We had walked away from him and I began to beat myself up. I thought that I wasn't good enough, that this wasn't for me and that nothing could help me so I might as well give up. Well, yesterday we stopped an older couple and introduced who we were and how we want to help them, they replied and said we are too old. The Spirit told me to immediately fire back and say that no one is too old! So I did, they just laughed and said good day. I was bummed they weren't interested, but I was happy because I had redeemed myself since the last time! 
       So, just like the first time I talked to that guy and failed on the bridge compared to the older couple, it's a lot like the Atonement. We may mess up here and there and beat ourselves up. We may say we aren't good enough to use the Atonement, that it's not for us, and that nothing can help us be better then we are. Well just like I redeemed myself on the bridge, the Savior, our perfect all-knowing older brother, redeemed us by giving up His life so that we can be back with Him and our loving Heavenly Father. He loved and loves us so much that He was willing to give His life for every single person. Just think about that for a couple seconds, actually, always think about that because that's how powerful and meaningful it should be in your life!! His Atoning sacrifice was enough and always will be, no matter how bad we think that we are! We will always have a chance to be redeemed because They will always love us. I know it to be true and I have witnessed it in my life and in others!! It works! Don't underestimate the power that the Creator of the world has, no one is greater nor ever will be!!
       Also, just a quick challenge. Every time you say your personal prayer just make sure it's quiet and after you say amen to close, don't move and just keep your eyes close. I feel like it gives the Spirit a chance to talk back to us, and just think about Gods love for you!
Elder Rogers!











No comments:

Post a Comment